September 28, 2020
Fellow Restaurant Industry Workers,
There has never been a more important time in the history of the American Restaurant Industry. This letter is a CALL TO ACTION. With over 15 million employees/voters in our industry, our voices, if unified, cannot be ignored.
Did you know that:
- The American Restaurant Industry is the 2nd largest private employer in America, employing 15.3 million people (2019).
- In 2019, restaurant sales totaled $863 billion, equal to 4% of America’s GDP. The economic impact (including wages, food & supply purchases, utilities, and rent) of the Restaurant Industry totaled $2.4 trillion in 2019.
- 1 out of 10 voting Americans works in the Restaurant Industry.
- There are over 1 million restaurants in America, 70% of which are single unit operations.
- The Restaurant Industry employs more women & minority managers than any other industry in America.
*Source: Lena Genello Goldberg, Senior Lecturer, Harvard Business School
Imagine the impact our combined voices could have if the many millions of us demand action from our elected leaders and VOTE. In the coming days and weeks, we have the opportunity to influence the next coronavirus aid package as well as the 2020 presidential and Senate/House elections. It is more important than ever that we communicate to our lawmakers that another round of relief is needed IMMEDIATELY and vote for lawmakers who support the protection of the Restaurant Industry.
Why does our industry need additional support right now?
1. The survival of the Restaurant and Greater Hospitality Industry is dependent upon additional relief from the government. Since the federal government passed the $2 trillion CARES Act in March, the $359 billion that was appropriated to support small businesses (PPP) has all but dried up.
2. Lawmakers across the board have called for more stimulus but are struggling to pass another round of economic relief funding. As the coronavirus continues to cripple our economy, negotiations over the next stimulus bill have not progressed despite repeated calls from Secretary of the Treasury Mnuchin for renewed talks.
3. Today, Democrats unveiled a scaled-back $2.2 trillion comprehensive pandemic relief package (Heroes Act). This comes 18 days after Democrats blocked the Republicans’ $300 billion (“skinny” bill) proposal and criticized it as inadequate in both scope and amount. The pared-down Heroes Act originally passed in May as a $3.4 trillion package, but under pressure from Republicans has been reduced by more than $1 trillion. The updated Heroes Act package includes $120 billion specifically earmarked for the Restaurant Industry (RESTAURANTs Act), and it is imperative that lawmakers compromise on this updated bill and push it through this week.
We no longer have time to disagree. Republicans and Democrats must put their differences aside and pass the updated Heroes Act NOW! We must use our voting power, over 15 million strong, to make our voices heard right now and in the elections that are just weeks away. There is nothing more important than being able to feed our families, and our livelihood and survival depend on empowering politicians who will ensure we get the immediate relief we so desperately need.
Please share this message and encourage everyone in the Restaurant Industry to do their part to encourage lawmakers to pass the Heroes Act this week and to VOTE in the upcoming elections! Our combined voices, if unified, will determine the outcome of every election in November.
CEO – Lucy’s Retired Surfers Bar & Restaurant
CC: President Donald J. Trump
Vice President Joe Biden, Jr.
Speaker of the House of Representatives Nancy Pelosi
Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell